In case you haven’t caught on by now, I am a big fan of Mexican dishes. I think this is primarily because I spent most of my childhood years in the southwestern town of Yuma, Arizona. Yuma, as you might imagine, has a large Mexican influence and a lot of the recipes that I have here on Your Fitness Path come from the meals that I enjoyed growing up!
Alas, now that I am living here in the Midwest, there isn’t as large of a Mexican influence on the city of Indianapolis, so I typically have to rely on my own recipes to enjoy the Mexican cuisine…
As a guy who is always looking to add some lean muscle mass to my frame with quality, great-tasting carbs, black beans are a side dish that has been a staple in my nutrition for several years. I usually just pop the top off of a can, heat and serve. Quick and simple, but leaves a little to be desired.
The following recipe does take more time to prepare than the method above, but the end result is really amazing!
Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 large pepper from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (remove seeds)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 (15-oz.) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2- oz.) can chicken broth
- fresh lime juice
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium high heat.
- Add garlic, chili and cumin and saute 30 seconds.
- Add beans and broth and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Coarsely mash beans with potato masher.
- Continue boiling until thick, stirring frequently, about 20 minutes.
- Season to taste with lime juice (approx. 1/2 lime), salt (approx. 1 tsp).
- Transfer to bowl.
- Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.
Adapted from: http://qdobaathome.blogspot.com/2013/04/mexican-black-beans.html
Thoughts/Feedback on this recipe? Comment below!
Need a Coach?
If you need to find someone that will hold you accountable, answer your questions, help you, and PUSH YOU for the entire duration of your workout! Luckily for you, that’s what me and my team are here for. If you don’t have a coach yet and want one, I’d love to be your coach and help you through a fitness program. I am available to help you reach your goals!
Email Me: email@example.com
Connect on Facebook: fb.com/coachcoburn