Tips for Making a Healthier Burger
Whatever type of burger you make, before you fire up the grill, keep these tricks in mind to amp up the flavor and the benefits of your meal.
- Ditch the mayo and instead use a bit of plain, protein-rich Greek yogurt or smashed avocado.
- Pick up some whole grain, wheat buns instead of white. They taste better anyway!
- Pile on the fixin’s. Sliced tomatoes, onions, and mushrooms; don’t forget about the lettuce!
- Spice things up! Sprinkle (or douse…) your burger with some Sriracha or your favorite hot sauce for lots of low-calorie heat and a little metabolism boost.
- Mustard, homemade ketchup, or even homemade ranch are a few options to consider for some additional flavor as well.
- If you are going to add it, grow up and get yourself some REAL cheese! That individually wrapped in plastic stuff sold as cheese isn’t cheese… Skip the fat-free stuff, because “no fat” means it won’t melt easily. Instead, choose a small portion of your favorite kind, fat and all. If you’ve got a block of cheese instead of thin slices, try grating it for even coverage.
- If you must, you can go bun-less and serve a burger in a lettuce wrap, on top of a salad, or even between two slices of zucchini.
Perfect Summer Burgers
With the addition of sweet peppers, onions, and carrots, this is one juicy and flavorful burger. No need for extra cheese on this one…it’s INSIDE the burger!
Servings Per Recipe: 6
PER SERVING: 232 cal., 9 g total fat (3 g sat. fat), 49 mg chol., 334 mg sodium, 19 g carb. (3 g fiber), 18 g pro.
Image courtesy of fitnessmagazine.com
Thai Style Chicken Burgers
Thai isn’t a style of food that one typically thinks about in combination with burgers, but this one might surprise you…in a good way!
Image courtesy of marinmamacooks.com
Jerk Turkey Burgers with Mango Slaw
Jerk seasoning ranks right up there with the best of them, though you may have to ask around at your local grocery store as it can sometimes be difficult to locate. Jerk works well with chicken and/or pork as well, so keep that in mind! While the burgers are on the grill, you can prepare the mango slaw, it shouldn’t take much prep time. The burgers by themselves are top-notch, but the mango slaw takes things to another level!
Per Serving: Calories 448, Total Fat 17 g, Saturated Fat 2 g, Protein 34 g, Total Carbohydrates 43 g
Image courtesy of recipeboy.com
Green Chile Bison Burger
A little bit of Southwest flare can bring your normally boring burger back to life! If you don’t have ground bison available near you, just swap it out for some lean ground beef.
Per serving: 349 calories; 15 g fat (6 g sat, 5 g mono); 75 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 31 g protein; 4 g fiber; 678 mg sodium; 596 mg potassium.
Image courtesy of eatingwell.com
Get This Recipe
Sweet & Spicy BBQ Bacon Hawaiian Turkey Burgers
Ok…admittedly, this one probably isn’t the “healthiest” option on the list, but just look at that photo below! The combination of sweet pineapple and spicy BBQ sauce, cayenne pepper, and pepper jack cheese will have your mouth watering for a couple of reasons..
Serves: 4 burgers
Serving size: 1 burger patty with cheese + pineapple (no bun or fixings)
Calories: 287, Fat: 8.3g, Carbohydrates: 9.5g, Sugar: 7.2g, Fiber: 1g, Protein: 38.1g
Image courtesy of ambitiouskitchen.com
Burgers with Roasted Garlic and Rosemary
A slight twist on the classic burger. The roasted garlic and fresh rosemary make these burgers extra flavorful. Adding grated zucchini to the lean ground beef helps keep the burgers moist, and is an inexpensive way to add bulk.
PER SERVING: 361 cal., 9 g total fat (3 g sat. fat), 44 g carb. (5 g fiber), 33 g pro
Chicken Parm Burgers
Chicken parm burgers…? Yes, chicken parm burgers! This Italian classic in bun-form is just as good as the original. When working with ground chicken in burger form, it’s important to flip carefully in the initial cooking stages, otherwise you’ll be left with something that doesn’t resemble a burger at all…
Servings Per Recipe: 4
PER SERVING: 390 cal., 17 g total fat (6 g sat. fat), 692 mg sodium, 28 g carb. (3 g fiber), 30 g pro
Image courtesy of fitnessmagazine.com
Need a Coach?
If you need to find someone that will hold you accountable, answer your questions, help you, and PUSH YOU for the entire duration of your workout! Luckily for you, that’s what me and my team are here for. If you don’t have a coach yet and want one, I’d love to be your coach and help you through a fitness program. I am available to help you reach your goals!